Fire Safety at Halloween – What to remember

27 October 2015

Health & Safety was a prominent issue during Halloween last year. You may remember the high profile story around fire safety and Halloween costumes after TV presenter Claudia Winkleman’s daughter suffered serious burns after her outfit caught fire.

In 2014, 91 people in England were admitted to hospital as a result of their clothes melting or igniting.

The Health & Safety laws have been tightened recently and the Trading Standards can now conduct spot checks on any shop that sells children’s fancy dress costumes. However, it is still important that you follow the correct safety procedures.

Here are our top tips for keeping safe this Halloween:

1. Check the label! Before buying an outfit make sure it’s fire resistant.
2. Candles can be dangerous so make sure you:
 Put all candles out before leaving a room
 Use a snuffer or a spoon to put them out – try not to blow out the candles

3. Teach everyone around you, especially children to STOP, DROP and ROLL

4. Use battery powered candles in pumpkins instead of normal candles, they’re much safer and will take away any risk.

If you require any other information on Fire Safety check out our free guide.

GET A FREE CONSULTATION

Get in touch and we'll organise a free audit of your business.

Pop in your details and we'll call you straight back

We'll get back to you as soon as we can.