Being aware of COSHH (the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) is an important part of running a business. Why? Because it ensures the safety of everyone who enters your premises.
So, to help you better protect your business, our Health & Safety experts offer a comprehensive COSHH awareness course.
Course aims & objectives
By the end of our COSHH Awareness course you’ll:
- Have a solid understanding of COSHH
- Be able to effectively manage risks that result from COSHH
- Have a strong understanding of your legal responsibilities and why so many employers get COSHH wrong
- Be able to competently undertake simple COSHH assessments
- Confidently identify issues of your own accord
- Have the knowledge to answer COSHH-related questions from around your business.
Being COSHH aware has a number of business benefits, like: improving business-wide mindfulness; preventing accidents; improving your overall Health & Safety culture; and establishing easy-to-understand best practices.
Our COSHH Awareness course has been designed to last around three hours. During this time, we’ll:
- Walk you through the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations and what they mean for you;
- Improve your understanding of why the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are so focused on employers getting COSHH right;
- Show you how COSHH can cause ill-health and injuries when improperly managed;
- Explain why COSHH-specific risk assessments are needed, the difference between COSHH assessments and Material Safety Data Sheets, and what the law requires of you;
- Demonstrate how you can conduct your own COSHH assessment; and
- Test the knowledge you’ve been taught with a multiple choice test.
By the time you’ve completed our course, you’ll know:
- The ins and outs of the Health & Safety implications around COSHH
- What substances are hazardous and how they may change throughout use
- How hazardous substances enter individuals’ systems
- When and where exposure might occur
- The short and long-term health effects of exposure
- What warning symbols look like
- Exactly what your and your employees’ legal duties are
- What’s set out in relevant regulations
- What you need to do to maintain COSHH safety in and around your business – including continually monitoring employees’ health.
Providing you successfully complete your test, you’ll be awarded with a COSHH awareness certificate which can be used for your training and PQQ records.
Your test will be taken on the day we visit, be multiple choice, and based on what you’ve been taught throughout the course.
Who should take the course?
Our COSHH Awareness course is aimed at any business that uses substances that could be hazardous to someone’s health.
Not sure if that’s you? Here’s a list of the types of substances that’re hazardous:
A common misconception is that COSHH Awareness is only needed in industries where use of hazardous substances is part and parcel of the job, but that’s not the case.
From cleaning companies to care homes, and manufacturing plants to funeral directors – and every other industry in between, COSHH Awareness is key.
Fancy booking on?
Our COSHH Awareness course lasts around three hours, and has a maximum capacity of 15 participants.
If you want to book your place or fancy chatting about it in further detail, get in touch with our dedicated Additional Services Team on 0345 241 5250 or use our Contact Us page.